Pages Continued

Monday, February 23, 2015

Reading Literature Test is on Wednesday

On Wednesday, students will take their 2nd Trimester reading literature test. Students will have to independently read a short story, and then answer questions based on the standards below.

“I Can” Read Fiction
(Reading – Literature)

I can read, understand and discuss the fiction stories I read.

  • RL.4.1 I can explain a story by referring to details and examples in the text.
  • RL.4.2 I can figure out the theme of a fiction text by thinking about the details in the text.
  • RL.4.2 I can summarize a fiction text in my own words.
  • RL.4.3 I can use specific details in fiction text to help me describe a character, setting or event in the story.
  • RL.4.4 I can figure out the meanings of words and phrases an author uses (context clues, root words, etc).
  • RL.4.5 I can write about the differences between poems, plays and fictional stories.
  • RL.4.5 I can refer to specific elements of poems (verse, rhythm, meter) and plays (characters, settings, descriptions, dialogue, stage directions) when I write or talk about a piece of fiction.
  • RL.4.7 I can make connections between a written text and a visual or oral presentation of the same text.
  • RL.4.10 I can read and understand fourth grade stories, plays and poems independently.


For practice, you can have your child read the short story, "Davy is Absent," and discuss the questions following. Also, be sure to ask them to identify the theme and the genre (poetry, drama or prose). Use the "I CAN" statements above to help guide your discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment